Paphos - Pafos
Places of Interest to visit!
Paphos District Archaeological Museum
Griva Digeni 43, Tel: 26-94 02 15 Attractive collection of Cypriot antiquities from the Paphos area, dating from the Neolithic Age to 1700 AD
A. Ioannou 3, next to the Bishopric. Tel: 26-93 13 93
An attractive collection of objects from the Byzantine period, including Byzantine icons from the 7th to 18th centuries, and the oldest icon found yet in Cyprus of the 7th or 8th century.
Exo Vrysis 1 Tel: 26-93 20 10
Interesting private collection of objects from the Neolithic Age to the present day.
Paphos Mediaeval Fort
Kato Paphos Harbour
Original a Byzantine fort built to protect the harbour; it was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, dismantled by the Venetians in 1570 and rebuilt by the Ottomans after they captured the island in the 16th century.
Agia Solomoni Church
Kato Paphos, Leofors Agiou Pavlou
Originally a Christian catacomb retaining some of the 12th century frescoes. A sacred tree at the entrance is believed to cure the ailments of those who hang a personal offering on its branches.
Kato Paphos Archaeological Park
The inclusion of the Kato Paphos archaeological area in the World Heritage List in 1980 sparked off the idea of the creation of a General Plan whose main aim is to preserve and maintain the archaeological remains and to promote and provide integral information to visitors. The archaeological site of Kato Paphos includes areas and monument from prehistoric times up to and including the Middle Ages, with most remains dating to the Roman period. The remarkable mosaic floors of four villas of the Roman period are the epitome of all these findings. Other important monuments are the Asklipeio, the Odeon, the Agora and the fort of Saranta Kolones.
Near the old market place of Paphos
They date back to the Turkish period and functioned up until the early ‘50s. It is a stone vaulted building consisting of three main areas: reception, intermediate area, and the main baths. The building has been restored and will be used as Cultural Centre by the Paphos Municipality.
The Mosaics of Paphos
House of Dionysos, House of Theseus and House of Aion. Kato Paphos, near the harbour, Tel: 26-94 02 17
The mosaic floors of these noblemen’s villas dating from the 3rd to the 5th century AD are considered among the finest in the Eastern Mediterranean. They mainly depict scenes from Greek mythology.
A small 2nd century Odeon built entirely of well-hewn limestone blocks, it is now used in the summer for musical and theatrical performances. Nearby are the remains of the ancient city walls, the Roman Agora and building dedicated to Askiperios, god of medicine.
Kato Paphos near the harbour
This castle was built by the Lusignans at the beginning of the early 13th century on the site of a previous Byzantine Castle. An earthquake destroyed it in 1222
Panagia Limeniotissa Basilica
Kato Paphos near the harbour
Built in the early 5th century and dedicated to ‘Our Lady of the Harbour’, it was almost completely destroyed during the 7th century Arab raids.
PanagiaChrysopolitissa Church and Early Christian Basilica
Built in the 13th century over the ruins of the largest Early Byzantine basilica on the island. Within the compound one can see St. Paul’s Pillar, where according to tradition Saint Paul was flogged before the Roman Governor Sergius Paulus was converted to Christianity
Theoskepasti means ‘Veiled By God’. According to tradition, a fog was sent by God to protect the original church during the Arab raids. The modern church was built in 1923.
Tombs of the Kings
Kato Paphos, Tel: 26-94 02 95
Spread over a vast area, these impressive underground tombs date back to the 4th century BC. They are carved out of solid rock with some being decorated with Doric pillars. High officials rather than Kings were buried here, but the magnificence of the tombs gave the locality its name.